There are many common hair mistakes that many people make without even realizing it. Read on and we’ll help you understand what they are, and how to avoid them.
10) Towel Drying Your Hair: Towels can create a harsh friction against your hair stripping it from ts natural oils causing it to frizz. Try replacing your towel with a t-shirt to help lessen the tension for your hair.
9) Conditioning All Over Your Head: The ends of your hair should be the focus when putting on this super-hydrating product. When your scalp is covered in conditioner, you're likely to end up with a tacky film that leads to build-up.
8) Putting Your Hair Into A Ponytail: This is fine every once in a while, but wearing this same style too often can be damaging to your hair. Pulling it back in the same spot day after day, as well as the elastic hair band you are using, can cause breakage to the hair. Your elastic hair band is ripping your hair apart.
7) Not Getting it Regularly Trimmed: This one may not seem like a mistake, but not getting regular haircuts can cause your hair to look worse than it has to. The whole point of going to the salon for a haircut is to chop off your split ends and to make your hair look healthy once again. Going too long between salon visits, will just show off the unhealthy ends.
6) Washing Your Hair Everyday: Your hair tends to look best when it has a chance for the natural oils to settle in. By washing everyday, these oils never get a chance to “shine.” In fact, it could even cause your hair to look duller and dry. However, if your hair teds to very oily, you might wanna bump up on the washes.
5) Cutting Your Own Hair: Cutting your own hair can be a big mistake, especially if you're cutting your bangs. When people cut their own hair, chances are they mess it up, so it's better off to not take any risks and go to a salon.
4) Brushing Your Hair While It's Still Wet: Your hair is at it's weakest moment when it's wet, so when you're brushing your hair after you've showered you're basically tearing it apart. It's best to comb it after you've showered so you won't be tugging on it as much. Let it air dry in the end.
3) Taking super-hot showers: While warm water opens a hair's cuticle to allow shampoo and conditioner to do their job, cold water helps to close the cuticle and seal in moisture from the conditioner - which helps your hair look shiny and healthy. So take a warm shower, but at the end, rinse with cold water.
2) Dying Your Hair At Home: Just like trimming your hair at home, it's better to be safe than sorry. The first major mistake people make is when picking out the box of color. You can’t always go by the color on the box. The color may turn out differently depending on the shade your hair already is. Leaving the color on the proper amount of time is key as well - too long and your hair could over process, and leaving it on too little won’t give the hair enough time for the color to take. No matter how many times you’ve done it before, read the directions!
1) Too Much Heat: Probably the worst thing you can do to your hair is blow drying it or straightening it without using a heat protector, especially if you put your flat iron on the highest setting (which is also a big no-no). The heat will break apart your hair, damaging it and making it look plan dead. So save yourself $100 worth of hair treatments and buy a heat protectant.